Baking Soda is a staple in almost every kitchen. It is most often used as an ingredient in baking recipes but it also plays an important role in natural home cleaning recipes. Baking soda is a favorite ingredient among green cleaners for several reasons. Perhaps the most important being that it is non-toxic. Baking soda is also a natural deodorizer, it’s multi-purpose and another great bonus, it’s cheap. Here are 10 simple and inexpensive ways to clean your home without the harsh chemicals found in most commercial household cleaners.
- Scouring powder – sprinkle into bathtub, sinks and even grout and scrub as needed. This is a great replacement for Comet and Ajax. Smells much better too.
- Sprinkle onto counter tops and wipe clean with a damp cloth for a quick clean up.
- Place a box of baking soda in your fridge or freezer to soak up odors and keep them from ending up in your food.
- Use on dirty pots and pans that need a good scrubbing
- Sprinkle onto a cutting board for a thorough cleaning and to remove built up odors
- Soft Scrub – Mix 1 1/2 cups baking soda with 1/2 cup liquid castile soap until it has a frosting like texture. This can easily be stored in an air tight container for future use
- Sprinkle into the toilet and scrub with a toilet brush to clean and deodorize
- Sprinkle into the bottom of your garbage can to soak up foul odors
- Oven Cleaner – Sprinkle on the bottom of your oven and spray with water until damp. Close oven and let sit overnight. In morning wipe off with a wet sponge. Clean oven walls with a paste made of baking soda and vinegar
- Carpet Freshener – Mix 1/2 cup baking soda and 30 drops essential oil of your choice. Sprinkle onto carpet, allow to sit for 15 minutes and vacuum as usual.
Tip: Recycle large and small spice jars to use for spreading/sprinkling baking soda or carpet freshener. Just be sure to label it so no one eats it!