Did you know that over half of our body is made up of water? Water plays an essential role in our bodily functions and is vital to good health. Drinking sufficient amounts of water on a daily basis is one of the single most impactful changes that you can make to better your health.
So what’s so great about water? Our bodies need water for many functions including digestion, circulation, to remove waste, to create saliva, transport nutrients and maintain body temperature. Water also contributes to healthy skin by keeping it hydrated.
If that’s not enough, consuming water on a daily basis is also a great way to lose and maintain weight. Water “crowds out” calories by replacing sugary and calorie dense drinks like soda, energy drinks and juices. It will also help you feel full which prevents continuous snacking. Consuming a glass of water before and at each meal will ensure you feel satisfied quicker and stop eating sooner.
It’s imperative to keep a proper balance of water in our body in order to stay hydrated and allow our bodily functions to perform properly. We lose water by sweating, urinating, through bowel movements and even when breathing. A good indicator of deyhydration is little or very dark urine.
To stay properly hydrated the rule of thumb is to drink 6-8 glasses of water per day. Your body may require more water if you exercise vigorously and during the warmer seasons of the year. While other drinks may provide fluids, they also contribute to excess calories and sugars. Popular sports drinks should only be used for vigorous exercising as they are high in sugar and sometimes contain high doses of sodium and even caffeine.
So how do you pack in all that water in a day? Try a few of these simple tricks.
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you wherever you go, in the summer months be sure to bring a cooler along as well.
- Place a glass of water by your desk or work area.
- Try a new container like a fun new tumbler or water bottle. You can even try drinking water out of a wine glass at dinner.
- Make infused water – fill a pitcher with water and add a few slices of cucumber along with a couple of mint leaves or make citrus water by adding a few slices of oranges, lemon and lime.
- Drink water when you go to a restaurant, it will save calories and its free.
- Start and end each day with a glass of water.
- Drink water at each meal.